[nafex] Hubbardston - Ellison's (Richard)

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Tue Sep 23 11:38:22 EDT 2014

We have one Hubbardston tree. The apples have been handsome and relatively large. The flavor is well-balanced, on the milder, sweeter side of sub-acid.  Our tree has been annual, and one of our most reliable croppers. The apples start off nice and shiny, but they do get greasy in storage.

Our current favorite in the reliable, annual red apple category is King David. It is on the tart side, but is much more, with a rich, spicy flavor. The apples aren't large. I was concerned that they might ripen too late here in the Finger Lakes, but that hasn't been the case.

Decided against Ellison years ago, based in part on the anise flavor reputation.

John Henderson
Sage Hen Farm
Lodi, NY