[nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Mon Sep 22 23:54:54 EDT 2014

On 9/22/2014 9:50 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
> Seriously, there is a huge amount of under 35 energy on the various
> Facebook permaculture, plant & orchard groups that I'm a part of.
> It's sad that very few of them can be convinced to join a listserv and
> sad that folks that have chimed into this thread are locked into one
> possible version of information transmission.  Facebook is just a
> tool.  You can run adblock plus and never ever see an ad or
> advertising of any kind.  you can streamline your permissions and your
> behavior so your personal information is not harvested.  You can be
> involved in very very in depth conversations with other growers who
> are interested in knowledge sharing.  You get out of it what you put
> into it.  If you expect it to be a waste of time, it will.  If you
> decide to use it like a tool, like a pick axe or a refractometer, it
> can be that.  I run a nursery of edible plants and generate a large
> percentage of online sales via facebook, and locally here in the very
> rural area I live in, I would never bother doing an event without
> using it, because here is really no other way locally for folks to
> hear about events.
>
> That said, I'll try to get a thread going on the facebook page to see
> if any of the folks there not subbed to this list would be interested
> in joining.

     OK, you need facebook to run your business.  I am not shopping
     at your place, so I don't need it.  Facebook carries too much
     baggage to be of interest to me.  When I do use it for personal
     communications with family, I feel like I am not in control. Facebook
     takes me where I don't want to go.  It substitutes strings and names
     trying to be super smart.  It's way more complicated than what I
     need for fruit growing information.  It's full of nonsensical chit chat
     by people trying to be cute or keep a conversation going way beyond
     what is necessary.  I will stick with Ibiblio, thank you.

                     Sherwin Dubren