[nafex] tasty perennial Physalis

Andre Pierre hello at protocol6.com
Thu Sep 11 10:11:40 EDT 2014

Hi,

I was at an PYO apple orchard here in Central Massachusetts two weekends ago and found *tons* of the Chinese Lanterns growing under the trees.
I was told later that the orchard sells the Lanterns as an ornamental plant in flower arrangements.

Just thought I'd mention this for those looking to plant perennial physalis.
Some of these species clearly are a shade tolerant understory plant.

Regards,

:-)

Andre

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 01:28:29PM -0400, Robert Bruns wrote:
> The Chinese Lantern variety is sour and just plain nasty-tasting (I
> just tried it to confirm that it's not edible, and believe me, it
> isn't).  Some of the named ground cherries are actually quite good,
> although different people may have different opinions.  The ground
> cherries don't really become sweet until they've fallen from the plant
> and then sat on the ground until the husk becomes transparent.
>
> Fred
>
> On 8/21/14, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm getting a little lost in the discussion.  Are the named annual varieties
> > better tasting and sweeter than the wild chinese lantern type?
> >
> > ~mIEKAL
> >

> > On Aug 21, 2014, at 5:42 AM, Lori Rizzo wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devin,
> >>
> >> I'm in Massachusetts and would be very interested in some rhizomes or
> >> seeds. I just bought a place last month and am planning my edible forest.
> >>
> >> Let me know the how, cost, etc., - thanks!
> >>
> >> Lori

> >> --
> >> Lori Rizzo, BSN MBA RN
> >> *Healthcare Quality & Performance Improvement*
> >> *Behavioral Dog Training & Counseling*
> >> *Heirloom & Unusual Vegetable Propagation*
> >> *Dedham, MA*
> >> *rizzolori1 at gmail.com <rizzolori1 at gmail.com>*
> >> message archives
> >> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex
> >> Google message archive search:
> >> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring]
> >> nafex list mirror sites:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
> >> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com

> > message archives
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex
> > Google message archive search:
> > site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring]
> > nafex list mirror sites:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
> > Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com

> message archives
> Google message archive search:
> nafex list mirror sites:

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltair