[nafex] Hubbardston - Ellison's

Richard murphman108 at msn.com
Tue Sep 2 16:44:36 EDT 2014

Hello Troops:

It's Murph again... I got Zestars like crazy this year. Jeeziz !!

Have any of you grown Hubbardston Nonesuch or Ellison's Orange apples?
I'm going to plant another 30 apple trees this spring, mostly Heirloom and some 'new' varieties.

As you probably know, apple growth habits of a given variety can vary quite a bit with soil, water and climate. Reading catalog / orchard descriptions and opinions is almost a crap shoot. So, I'm interested in these two varieties. Does the Ellison really smell like anise seed? All the Hubbardstons I've seen are large and handsome; are they?
Also, I'm looking for a good reliable annual cropper of red fruit. Any variety come to mind.

I value your opinions more than any text book ever written, or catalog.....

Please illuminate me.

Murph