[nafex] Asian / American Hybrid Persimmons?

Peter Chrisbacher pxbacher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:45:17 EST 2014

Alexis' post piqued my curiosity...

I'm a BIG fan of American persimmons, but not much of a fan of the
(astringent) Asian persimmons I've tried, which I've felt lacked quite a
bit in the flavor category compared to a nice soft ripe American.

I've also tried one or two non-astringent Asian persimmons (eaten when
crunchy) and was not overly impressed with these either.

Are there any Asian or _hybrid_ persimmons out there whose flavor compares
favorably with a sweet, juicy American?  Or, are there any that are
stand-outs in their respective categories (Asian astringent,
non-astringent, Hybrid), that I should try before I discount the entire lot?

Opinions please!

(On that note, I think I'll go defrost a couple now ;)

-Pete

Pete Chrisbacher
Kennett Square, PA