[nafex] Record cold

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Jan 6 22:29:26 EST 2014

In a message dated 1/6/2014 4:58:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
amandaisoutdoors at hotmail.com writes:

> I just planted my trees this past spring.   It is supposed to get -11
> tonight and -1 high tomorrow in western PA.  I am worrying about my trees
> not being well established enough to survive.  Should I be trying to pile
> hay around them or something else?
> Thanks, and hope all of your plants do alright!!

Do you have snow on the ground? Six inches of snow will provide a lot of
insolation. Unless it is a species that tends to be winter tender they should
be OK. But 6 inches of mulch will not hurt anything, just keep it away from
the tree trunk as that can provide cover for hungry mice and they chew the
cambium layer.

Jerry

Jerry