[nafex] Winter grafting Early

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 21:19:43 EST 2014

In a message dated 12/27/2013 1:22:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hollaus at comcast.net writes:

> Plant disease can still be contained within. Given the longer period the
> time the plant is dormant (seems to me) is giving disease the leg up if
> the
> storing of the graft or scions are bacterial friendly. (example: plant
> dormant and scion ends mashed from cut, gravy food for bacteria)
>
> My understanding from teachers in the field of grafting is optimal
> conditions storing many scions are "28-30F". Or in another case that above
>
> 34F is more dangerous (reliability goes way down) for other things like
> sweet cherry.
>
> Many including I have had problems in sweet cherry grafting.
>
> Might an accurate temperature for storing (uncertain) plant woody material
>
> be one we should be concerned about? Or why and your opinion of if
> slightly
> contaminated material is of consequence?

Hello Rupert,

If seems to me you are basing your comments on Prunus. And with Prunus you
are absolutely correct. Diospyros isn't nearly as subject to diseases nor do
the scions need be stored nearly as cold. Sweet cherry breaks bud much
earlier than persimmon, at about 40 degrees the sweet cherry bud shell breaks,
flowering begins and bud expansion begins shortly after. Persimmon is one of
the last to break bud in the spring and can be stored at higher temps. Malus
isn't nearly as critical as Prunus.

Jerry