[nafex] Keeping apples

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Thu Feb 20 14:58:47 EST 2014

<SNIP>

> Any ideas?  I can't be the only one using fridges for storage.  And I
> would think that everyone who does has this problem.  Thanks!
>
> Steve Herje,
> SW WI USA
> On Feb 14, 2014 7:39 PM, "fuwa fuwa usagi"
> <fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com> wrote:

Interesting question.  But I am not certain your premise is correct.  I have several crates of
apples in my root cellar.  These have, as you say, shrivelled up and turned to mush.  I have a
number of other cultivars in a sealed fridge.  Many of these have sufferred a similar fate, but
others have retained their firmness and integrity despite being in a closed fridge with rapidly
deteriorating other cultivars.  Clearly there are differences in keeping qualities, but you knew
this already.  It may well be that ethylene is playing a role, but just how much is less clear-cut.