[nafex] black knot resistant plums

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Wed Feb 12 22:20:10 EST 2014

I have to disagree with the choice of European Plum (also known
as Stanley) as being resistant to black knot.  One of our oldest trees
is a Stanley that was disease free for about 10 years.  Then it
started to develop problems with brown rot and black knot, despite
yearly treatments of sulfur and copper.  When I checked it further,
I found that Stanley is very susceptible to black knot, according to
most web sources I looked at.

I now have the brown rot and black knot almost in control again, but
I lost a lot of branches cutting away the black knot.  I'm not sure what
started this problem, possibly the age of the tree.  I hedged my bets a
few years ago by adding a NY 1502 plum to the tree, which is growing like
crazy and now is more than half the tree in growth and fruit.  By the
way, that NY 1502 Japanese Plum is a wonderful tasting plum.  It has
been around for several years now, so I wonder why the folks at
Geneva have not given it a name yet.

                             Sherwin Dubren
                             Morton Grove, IL