[nafex] Transplanting Nanking cherry

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 06:59:41 EDT 2014

Lori,

I've never dug and moved a mulberry tree. The birds sow the mulberry seed
very well. I believe the answer depends on the tree cycle when
transplanting and the method used. Keep in mind also mulberry trees are hard to  kill.

Normally, if the tree is actively growing (not dormant) when digging, bear
root reduces the chances of success. If non dormant I'd recommend using a
tree  spade and taking as much of the root system and dirt undisturbed as
possible. In  MA the tree is likely now actively growing this year's leaf crop
and the demand  upon the root system high. Moving bear root will likely
fail. If you and he can  wait until next fall to transplant the chances of
success would be better.

Jerry

In a message dated 4/26/2014 3:42:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,