[nafex] Prunus japonica "nakai"

Devin Smith dvidedevo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 21:53:19 EDT 2014

The book Edible Forest Gardensmakes mention of a cultivar of large fruited japanese bush cherry called "nakai" about which I have been able to find little other information and no suppliers. Apparently, it has fruits that approach 2 inches in diameter. PFAF gives the only other useful information I have been able to find about it, and according to Ken Fern, it is extremely dwarf, growing only a foot and half high, compared to typical japonica seedlings that are more like a nanking in stature. He also claims the fruit is very large (50 mm) Here's the PFAF link for those who may be interested.http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Prunus+japonica+nakai

Does anyone grow "nakai" bush cherries? Can you corroborate any of this information? Any idea where this plant can be acquired? thanks,

-Devin Smith
Rockingham, VT