[nafex] crab apple disease resistance

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Mon Apr 7 16:26:36 EDT 2014

Hello Devin,
I guess my own experience is not quite like
yours. True, crabs that have a lot of Malus
baccata (the Siberian crab) are most often scab
resistant. But I have seen crabs that were quite severely affected by scab.
As of insects, I can tell you that I have a great
crab here that is the most severely affected
variety in my orchard by the European Sawfly. It
does also get some maggot, although not as much as some other varieties.
So it is pretty hard to say for sure that
planting crabs will insure you clean fruit...
Claude

where there is still a good 3 feet of snow on the ground!