[nafex] salmonberry

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Apr 6 07:23:08 EDT 2014

 Salmonberry is Rubus spectabilis. Thimbleberry is Rubus parviflorus.
 Raspberries are in the genus Rubus.

 Ribes is a different genus, containing the currants and gooseberries.
 Some species of Ribes are forbidden in some places
 because they host white pine blister rust. To the best of my knowledge,
 Rubus species have nothing to do with the rust.

 Note that the Siberian black currant Ribes ussuriensis is resistant to
 white pine blister rust, and black currants such as Consort and Titania
 and some others are also resistant, being the results of crosses with
 Ribes ussuriensis. I believe that Consort and its self-sterile siblings
 Coronet and Crusader were products of the first crosses with Ribes
 ussuriensis and a European black currant, by Agriculture Canada at
 Ottawa, released very roughly sixty years ago. Titania and the other
 resistant cultivars, of higher quality, are products of later breeding.

 Doug Woodard
 St. Catharines, Ontario