[nafex] wrong person but maybe right answer

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 9 17:59:43 EDT 2013

Alan,

Some pears are truly self-fertile and produce fertile, seeded fruit (not parthenocarpic).  Some examples are Kieffer and Spalding.  Most pears are not self-fertile.  They have an S-ribonuclease system that enforces self-incompatibility and outcrossing.  However, you raise a good question about the gray area.  There is likely a subset of pears that produce a very small number of fertile seed without pollenization from  another cultivar.  I don't know of an example, but it would be interesting to look for one.

Anton