[nafex] transplanting paw paws

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Tue Jul 2 12:55:08 EDT 2013

On 7/2/2013 11:37 AM, Mike Levine wrote:
> I agree, I've actually had better success transplanting pawpaws during the
> growing season.  I like to do it after bud break, but before the leaves get
> large.  Seems like this "tropical" plant grows better in the heat of
> summer.  If I transplant them while dormant they don't seem to like
> "sitting around" waiting til it gets warm b4 they can grow.  I'm referring
> to planting them, however, not to severing suckers.  I think that's best
> done while dormant, waiting a year, and then digging after leaf out.
>
> Mike

      Mike,

      I think waiting until dormancy possibly insures that the little
      trees have fully broken dependency on the mother tree.  I
      think your thought about Paw Paws liking the heat of the
      summer can also work if one moves the tree the same
      summer season it is cut off.  The tricky thing is to find a
      tree that is independent enough to make it on it's own.

                               Sherwin