[nafex] Preserving apples: Does any of this make sense?

Brungardt, Sam (MPCA) sam.brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Jan 29 10:36:13 EST 2013

1. Jim, storing fruit in a grain bin is a very old method of storage.  It works as long as frost does not penetrate into the grain as far as the fruit is located.  The grain provides insulation and a fairly even temperature, one that is not quickly changed by fluctuations in the air temperature.  In Russia, my forebears stored watermelons in the fall by burying them in a grain bin.  The frost did not penetrate the grain until around November, and by that time the melons had been consumed.

2. "Tempering" involves exposing a substance to heat.  I would guess that tempered sand is sand that had been heated enough to destroy any pathogens or weed seeds in it.  After the sand has cooled, it could be used as a medium for storing apples.

3. Storing apples in water is another trick from the old country.  Although in Russia apples were stored in a salt brine (sometimes to which spices or herbs had been added) and then allowed to ferment, thus preserving them (the result was a rather sour apple, a little rubbery in texture that was eaten, either as is or cooked with meat, such as pork or roast goose).  Often apples were simply buried in the shredded cabbage when it was put down and salted to make sauerkraut.  I would guess that covering the apples with juniper sprigs, weighting the apples and juniper sprigs down with boards (and presumably a rock on top of the boards), and then covering with "clean" well water might keep the apples from fermenting as would removing them from the water only with a fork or other implement and not with one's hands (using one's hands would most likely introduce bacteria or fungal spores to the water in which the apples were stored and the same would happen if the apples were allowed to float and be exposed to the air).

I hope this helps. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4a)