[nafex] Stone-fruit graft-compatibilities

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Mon Jan 28 02:57:15 EST 2013

 Apricot is generally not compatible with European plum. Some exceptions
 are the use for apricot (and peach) rootstocks of Brompton, Pershore
 Yellow Egg (both Prunus domestica), St. Julien A (which if memory serves
 is a cross between P. domestica and P. insititia) and the use of the
 Vineland strain of German Prune as an interstem allowing the growing of
 apricot on
 Myrobalan roots.

 I very much doubt that apricot would be compatible with hybrid plums in
 general through perhaps it might be with a few cultivars; I doubt the
 risk would make sense for a home grower.
 If I had to make a bet on your first two questions my answer would be
 the same.
 I have been told of someone using Prunus ussuriensis (also classed as a
 subspecies of P. salicina) as a rootstock for sour cherry but I don't
 know how much experience this was based on; the person in question was
 given to extreme optimism.

 Rom

 Doug Woodard
 St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada