[nafex] website devoted to durian, "King of the fruits"

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 10:58:19 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/23/2013 10:47:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sam.brungardt at state.mn.us writes:

> I though others on this list might enjoy a website devoted to a
> controversial fruit, the durian:
> http://www.yearofthedurian.com/p/durian-recipes.html .
>
> It has a very thorough review of the durian, how to open it, recipes,
> cultivar info, etc.

Hi Sam,

In my travels I've had the opportunity to experience durian several times.
The first when in China. We walked past a fruit stand in a market and the
clerk spoke English. He asked if I wanted to buy one with a grin on his face.
I smelled it which had a distinct odor of limburger cheese. I turned up my
noise and said no thanks.

The second time was in Thailand where we were the personal home guests of a
Physician and US educated nurse wife for dinner. They served traditional
Thai dishes and for desert, local fruits both fresh and prepared. Their
kitchen servant had pealed the durian which without the smell was very eatable.
Barbara didn't care for it.

As I understand it the USDA didn't permit durian being imported because of
the very unpleasant odor. There are breeding programs of durian to reduce
the limburger odor and improve taste and now the USDA has relaxed the
importation restriction of Durian.

So if any members of this net see one in a store, hold your nose and
explore it.

Jerry