[nafex] revisiting quince

anton ptak antonptak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:52:35 EST 2013

Has anyone any success grafting quince onto OHF or other pear rootstocks?

I would like to try some of the quince varieties from the germplasm
repository, but from what I understand the commercially available quince
rootstocks are not hardy enough for our Zone 4 site.  Hence, the search
for another understock option . . . .

I ran across a message in the archives (pasted below) from 2002 and was
wondering if Lucky had tried what he proposed and if so, the results of
that trial.

Thanks,
Anton Ptak
Zone 4a W. Wisconsin

Lucky,
There was a multi-stemmed volunteer bush in the backyard.   The leaves looked very similar to a hawthorn growing in the front yard - so I guessed it
was a hawthorn.  I had scions of three pears - including Magness and Warren - and grafted all onto it.   As well as a seedling Quince a Michigan
NAFEXer had sent me.  They all took, and suvived.  Last year my ''hawthorn'' started bearing crabapples, and the leaves on the maturing bush stopped
looking like hawthorn and started looking like crabapple.  By now only one pear scion, a Magness survives.  The Quince is still on there, and
survives better than the pears, but hasn't flowered or borne fruit.  I still haven't found anything to graft the Quince off of the crabapple onto
something else, because I don't have any other quince.
Yes, I'd go ahead and graft your Quince onto pear and hawthorn, if it can survive with me on crabapple, it should at least survive and possibly
thrive on pear or hawthorn.
Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts