[nafex] Can someone recommend a cover crop: annual, low-growing, flowering, will spread, will grow in wood-chip mulch

Alexander Brands abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jan 18 12:36:06 EST 2013

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:31:23 -0500 (EST)
> From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com>
> Subject: [nafex] Can someone recommend a cover crop: annual,
> 	low-growing, flowering, will spread, will grow in wood-chip mulch
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>

> Can someone recommend a cover crop that fit's these conditions:
>
> It's an annual
> It's low-growing
> Will spread within the growing season
> Will grow in wood-chip mulch (that has begun to break down)
>
> Thanks,
> Steve (NJ)

I've had good luck with hairy vetch.  Not sure how low growing you
want, vetch gets maybe a foot tall as it sprawls about.  It is annual,
but self seeds here in Pennsylvania.  Bees like the flowers, and it
fixes nitrogen.

Alex