[nafex] Does anyone have a superior-fruiting Nanking Cherry

Lee Reich leeareich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:55:32 EST 2013

I (and many others, including Darrow, who included nanking cherry as one fruit in his 1937 USDA Yearbook "Some Unusual Opportunities in Fruit Breeding") see a lot of potential in Nanking cherry. I've been enjoying random seedlings but may be inspired, following all this discussion, to start doing some selection. Seedlings are quick to grow and bear quickly. Nanking cherry is one of my most reliable fruits -- with no care.

The following, from the Nanking cherry chapter in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden, should be of interest:

            Early in the twentieth century, Russian fruit breeders introduced a number of good-flavored cultivars with moderately large fruits (about five-eighths of an inch across): ‘Amurka’, ‘Ogonek’, ‘Pionerka’, ‘Samaya Rannaya’, and ‘Kabarovchanka’. More recent cultivars include ‘Alisa’, ‘Chereshnevaya’, ‘Detskaya’, ‘Natali’, ‘Okeanskaya’, ‘Smuglyanka’, and ‘Vostochnaya’.
            Besides working with the pure species, Russian breeders developed hybrids between the Nanking cherry and apricot, plum, and other species of cherry. Among the most promising hybrids were crosses between Nanking cherry and another very hardy cherry, western sand cherry (Prunus besseyi). Cultivars of these hybrids with good flavor range in color from the light red fruits of ‘Leto’ (with fruits three-quarters of an inch across), to the deep cherry-red fruits of ‘Damanka’ and ‘Karamelka’, to the almost black fruits of ‘Smuglyanka’.
            Most cultivars from North America were developed to withstand the climate of the upper Midwest. From Canada, in 1938, came ‘Drilea’, so named because of its adaptation to the dry leas. ‘Eileen’ was another cultivar from Canada, a hybrid with the western sand cherry that proved to be very susceptible to brown rot and a poor yielder. ‘Baton Rouge’ was a similar hybrid that produced large fruits, but these fruits were of poor quality and yields were low. In 1949, the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station introduced ‘Orient’, notable mostly for being self-fertile, but also for its tasty, fairly large fruits. Also around the middle of the twentieth century, Dr. George Slate introduced two superior clones, ‘Slate’ and ‘Monroe’, from the New York Agricultural Experiment Station.
            Even if they still exist at all, none of these cultivars is readily available. Fortunately, most seedlings produce tasty fruit, often better than named selections of tart cherry (Prunus cerasus). I remember a tall hedge of seedlings bordering a bicycle path along which I once rode almost daily; each July, this hedge presented me with a wall of fruit upon which to feast.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: