[nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties

Jeffrey Boulier boulierinasia at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 16:16:23 EST 2013

I'm very interested in hawthorns, but my knowledge is mostly theory -- I only have a couple at the moment and they are all still in pots.

There are a few species of hawthorn that are commercially grown for their fruit.

Crataegus azarolus (Azarole)
Crataegus pinnatifida (Chinese Hawthorn/Shan Zha)
Crataegus mexicana (Mexican Hawthorn/Tejocote)
Crategus opaca, Crataegus aestivalus, and maybe Crataegus rufula (Mayhaw)

I think there's also a southern Chinese species whose name escapes me, but is mentioned in Phipps'  "Hawthorns and Medlars" book.

Additionally, some taxonomists are now lumping Mespilus germanica (Medlar) into Crataegus.

I would expect that of the above, only the American-origin mayhaws and tejocote have any significant resistance to fireblight.

Azarole is listed by OGW and pfaf as zone 6, but to be honest even that seems marginal to me; it's grown only in southern Europe.