[nafex] Pomona time!

C. Waite Maclin cwaitemaclin at me.com
Tue Jan 15 09:37:23 EST 2013


Hi Jackie. I sent an article for the last issue and did not see it. Maybe I missed it. Thanks. Waite
On Jan 14, 2013, at 9:47 PM, Jackie wrote:

> We're calling for articles, NAFEXers. Send them as son as you can, but you've got several weeks to work, too.
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> 
> Jacquelyn A. Kuehn
> 
> pennsacreskitchen.net
> wmugradio.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Jan 12, 2013, at 12:00 PM, nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> 
>> Send nafex mailing list submissions to
>> 	nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> 	http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> 	nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> 	nafex-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of nafex digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>  1. Re:  Mulberry commercial potentials
>>     (Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett)
>>  2. Re:  Mulberry commercial potentials (Spidra Webster)
>>  3.  Hawthorns - best varieties (Steven Covacci)
>>  4. Re:  Hawthorns - best varieties (Matt Demmon)
>>  5. Re:  Mulberry commercial potentials (mIEKAL aND)
>>  6. Re:  Mulberry commercial potentials (Spidra Webster)
>>  7.  Mulberry commercial potentials (Jwlehman at aol.com)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:33:29 GMT
>> From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm at juno.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
>> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> Message-ID: <20130111.113329.16092.0 at webmail11.dca.untd.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>> 
>> I grew up with mulberries in the back yard, and although I ate loads of them I've never considered trying to grow them for market because they were always crawling with some sort of tiny insects--springtails, maybe?--and Americans are generally way too finicky to tolerate that.  I'd think that if you had a market any variety that you could harvest efficiently would work.   Good luck with it.
>> Muffy Barrett
>> 
>> 
>> ---------- Original Message ----------
>> , Bass Samaan  wrote:
>>> Have anyone considered Mulberry as a marketable fruit?
>>> What varieties have a potential for the fresh market in the 
>>> NorthEast?
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Bass Samaan
>>> Zone 6, PA
>>> www.Treesofjoy.com
>>> bassgarden at gmail.com
>> 
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list 
>> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> aubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>> message archives
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex 
>> Google message archive search:
>> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring] 
>> nafex list mirror sites:
>> http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
>> https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
>> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com
>> 
>> ____________________________________________________________
>> Woman is 53 But Looks 25
>> Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors...
>> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/50f04d2286ba34d2234ffst03duc
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:39:12 -0800
>> From: Spidra Webster <spidra at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
>> To: nafex mailing list at ibiblio <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Message-ID:
>> 	<CACPFkVKZbBOrTDmW7h7So=DLv7gjanmMeGMTQ2PY56fMBAsE4A at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> 
>> I don't know what the potential is in your region, but my brother started a
>> cottage business selling mulberries at the local farmers market. And that
>> expanded into selling mulberries to top chefs directly as well.
>> 
>> http://metromulberries.com/
>> 
>> http://www.localharvest.org/metromulberries-M24180
>> 
>> <http://www.localharvest.org/metromulberries-M24180>I know Illinois
>> Everbearing is a favorite of his.
>> 
>> 
>> Megan Lynch
>> http://www.meganlynch.net
>> 
>> <http://www.meganlynch.net>South Pasadena, CA
>> 
>> Zone 10a
>> 
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Bass Samaan <bassgarden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> Growing up in the Mediterranean region, Mulberries were commonly sold by
>>> street fruit vendors in season, both the white and the black varieties. The
>>> mulberry tree is so adaptable to most regions in the states, especially
>>> Morus Alba, but we still don't see this in any super market, or farm
>>> markets. Recently one of our local farm market asked me if I would know
>>> what is the name of the fruit that their Middle eastern customers refer to
>>> as "Tout" (Arabic, and Persian word for Mulberry). They said several
>>> customer have been asking for it. Asked if I can sell them fresh fruit in
>>> season.
>>> I currently grow 3 varieties, Collier, Greece, and Illinois Everbearing.
>>> Have anyone considered Mulberry as a marketable fruit?
>>> What varieties have a potential for the fresh market in the NorthEast?
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Bass Samaan
>>> Zone 6, PA
>>> www.Treesofjoy.com
>>> bassgarden at gmail.com
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:29:13 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com>
>> Subject: [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties
>> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> Message-ID: <8CFBE40B06591F0-13B0-A7B0 at webmail-d062.sysops.aol.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> I'm interested in growing excellent types of hawthorns.
>> According to Ken Fern (Plants for a Future), a European species: Crataegus schraderana is exceptionally delicious.  I don't know of a source for it in the US.  Any ideas?
>> Natives: I have a seed-propgated 'Homestead' (C. x arnoldiana).  C. arnoldiana (including C. mollisa and C. submollis) are considered some of the best; perhaps for size, if not that and flavor.  C. flava is supposed to be good, along with C. succulenta. 
>> I'm getting a native Crataegus from NY - from Schlabach's Nursery known as 'Heart's Delight', which is supposedly very good.
>> Steve NJ
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:53:34 -0500
>> From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties
>> To: nafex mailing list at ibiblio <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Message-ID:
>> 	<CAJJY6BOaotQw6m+M71GLZ=LJ8VLhULbssT7k+C_sp4LBbbzfNg at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> 
>> I don't remember the species names, but I noticed that One Green World had
>> several different groups of hawthorns for sale this time around, including
>> Mayhaw from the S. United States, Azarole from Italy, and a hawthorn from
>> China. All claimed to be hardy to z5.
>> 
>> -matt
>> 
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> I'm interested in growing excellent types of hawthorns.
>>> According to Ken Fern (Plants for a Future), a European species: Crataegus
>>> schraderana is exceptionally delicious.  I don't know of a source for it in
>>> the US.  Any ideas?
>>> Natives: I have a seed-propgated 'Homestead' (C. x arnoldiana).  C.
>>> arnoldiana (including C. mollisa and C. submollis) are considered some of
>>> the best; perhaps for size, if not that and flavor.  C. flava is supposed
>>> to be good, along with C. succulenta.
>>> I'm getting a native Crataegus from NY - from Schlabach's Nursery known as
>>> 'Heart's Delight', which is supposedly very good.
>>> Steve NJ
>>> 
>>> __________________
>>> nafex mailing list
>>> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>>> aubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>> message archives
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex
>>> Google message archive search:
>>> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring]
>>> nafex list mirror sites:
>>> http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
>>> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:51:03 -0600
>> From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
>> To: nafex mailing list at ibiblio <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Message-ID:
>> 	<CAKVWZJc7PC+S78_ggBq5CoAcTZLy5MJy7FCksGLVdceLvRS70A at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> 
>> But how to grow the trees so they are easy to pick?  I have a couple
>> Russian Mulberries that I pollarded at about 4 feet and that seems
>> like it might have potential.
>> 
>> I've planted out about 20 Illinois Everbearing with the hopes of
>> making wine, but I'm hesitant to plant more until I know if there is
>> an easy way to harvest them and also if the birds will even allow me
>> to harvest anything at all.
>> 
>> ~mIEKAL
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Spidra Webster <spidra at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know what the potential is in your region, but my brother started a
>>> cottage business selling mulberries at the local farmers market. And that
>>> expanded into selling mulberries to top chefs directly as well.
>>> 
>>> http://metromulberries.com/
>>> 
>>> http://www.localharvest.org/metromulberries-M24180
>>> 
>>> <http://www.localharvest.org/metromulberries-M24180>I know Illinois
>>> Everbearing is a favorite of his.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Megan Lynch
>>> http://www.meganlynch.net
>>> 
>>> <http://www.meganlynch.net>South Pasadena, CA
>>> 
>>> Zone 10a
>>> 
>>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Bass Samaan <bassgarden at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Growing up in the Mediterranean region, Mulberries were commonly sold by
>>>> street fruit vendors in season, both the white and the black varieties. The
>>>> mulberry tree is so adaptable to most regions in the states, especially
>>>> Morus Alba, but we still don't see this in any super market, or farm
>>>> markets. Recently one of our local farm market asked me if I would know
>>>> what is the name of the fruit that their Middle eastern customers refer to
>>>> as "Tout" (Arabic, and Persian word for Mulberry). They said several
>>>> customer have been asking for it. Asked if I can sell them fresh fruit in
>>>> season.
>>>> I currently grow 3 varieties, Collier, Greece, and Illinois Everbearing.
>>>> Have anyone considered Mulberry as a marketable fruit?
>>>> What varieties have a potential for the fresh market in the NorthEast?
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Bass Samaan
>>>> Zone 6, PA
>>>> www.Treesofjoy.com
>>>> bassgarden at gmail.com
>>> __________________
>>> nafex mailing list
>>> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>>> aubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>> message archives
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex
>>> Google message archive search:
>>> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring]
>>> nafex list mirror sites:
>>> http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
>>> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:55:13 -0800
>> From: Spidra Webster <spidra at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
>> To: nafex mailing list at ibiblio <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Message-ID:
>> 	<CACPFkVJEFzhohkh5goU7pSPx+hbVkVHiuXF1T100D8WsWMeAdg at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> 
>> Apparently he grows them as espaliered trees. I don't get along well with
>> my brother so I haven't asked him about it all despite the fact that we
>> both love growing fruit trees.
>> 
>> 
>> Megan Lynch
>> http://www.meganlynch.net
>> 
>> South Pasadena, CA
>> Zone 10a
>> 
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> But how to grow the trees so they are easy to pick?  I have a couple
>>> Russian Mulberries that I pollarded at about 4 feet and that seems
>>> like it might have potential.
>>> 
>>> I've planted out about 20 Illinois Everbearing with the hopes of
>>> making wine, but I'm hesitant to plant more until I know if there is
>>> an easy way to harvest them and also if the birds will even allow me
>>> to harvest anything at all.
>>> 
>>> ~mIEKAL
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 7
>> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 09:45:11 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Jwlehman at aol.com
>> Subject: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
>> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> Message-ID: <8c29.3e44cb62.3e22d0f7 at aol.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>> 
>> In a message dated 1/11/2013 4:58:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
>> qazingulaza at gmail.com writes:
>> 
>>> I've planted out about 20 Illinois Everbearing with the hopes of making 
>>> wine, but I'm hesitant to plant more until I know if there is an easy way to 
>>> harvest them and also if the birds will even allow me to harvest anything 
>>> at all.
>>> 
>> 
>> The big problem with Illinois Everbearing is the long ripening period with 
>> low crop yield at any one time making it difficult to collect large enough 
>> quantities for processing. The answer has to be a large number of trees. For 
>> one thing large enough to feed all the birds as well as collect fruit. 
>> Illinois Everbearing is a fantastic fruit. Better than any pure black I've ever 
>> tasted and I've tasted many.  
>> 
>> We collect fruits from our Black Mulberry trees by spreading bed sheets 
>> under the trees then using long poles shake the limbs. Then float out the bugs 
>> and use. There will still be a little protein in the cobbler, but after 
>> cooking who cares.  Mulberry/raspberry cobbler or pie....YUM YUM.
>> 
>> Oh, we don't pick off the stems. Also don't leave the sheets under the tree 
>> very long as they also collect bird droppings. 
>> 
>> Jerry
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list 
>> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>> aubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>> message archives
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex 
>> Google message archive search:
>> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring] 
>> nafex list mirror sites:
>> http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
>> https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
>> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com
>> 
>> End of nafex Digest, Vol 120, Issue 9
>> *************************************
> 
> __________________
> nafex mailing list 
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> aubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> message archives
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex 
> Google message archive search:
> site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring] 
> nafex list mirror sites:
> http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
> https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com


C. Waite Maclin
Organizational Consultant
P. O. Box 1259
Portland, Maine 04104
(207) 773-1314






More information about the nafex mailing list