[nafex] parthenogenic Mulberries

Lee Reich leeareich at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 08:49:23 EST 2013

This might clarify (from my book):

            Mulberry trees are either dioecious or monoecious, and sometimes a tree even will change from one sex to another. High temperatures, strong light, and long days favor maleness in mulberries, with their opposites, as well as high humidity, bringing out female flowers. (What can we anthropomorphize from this?) Flowers appear in axillary positions on current season’s shoots and on spurs on older wood. Pollination is not usually a problem, because mulberries are wind-pollinated, and some plants---the cultivars ‘Illinois Everbearing’ and ‘Hicks’, for example---will set fruit without any pollination whatsoever.

The latter would be parthenocarpic.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/