[nafex] parthenogenic Mulberries

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 21:53:28 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/13/2013 8:38:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimfruth at charter.net writes:

>  My fruit was produced parthenogenically.  (Is that spelled right).  I
> had two female trees that produced white berries with no seeds.

Hi Jim,

I don't have a college degree so may not be totally correct.

A parthenogenic fruit would have seed, and all the seedlings from those
seeds would be female. A possible case of this would be apomictic where the egg
doubles the chromosomes rather than combining with chromosomes from a sperm
and an embryo is developed. In the case of an apomictic embryo both sex
chromosomes would be the same therefore all females.

You said your fruits were seedless which strongly suggests the two trees
are parthenocarpic which is defined as producing fruit without pollination
therefore no viable seed. Some parthenocarpic fruits will set empty seed cases.

Jerry