[nafex] Morus rubra & nigra

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 13:49:53 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/13/2013 11:49:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
leeareich at gmail.com writes:

> Black mulberry species (Morus nigra) will not grow in the midwest, only
> in Mediterranean climates and perhaps the southeast. This is the best
> tasting of the mulberries, fresh at least.

Lee is correct. Morus nigra, Black Mulberry is native to Asia and is not
winter hardy enough to survive the Midwest winters.  What is native to this
area is Red Mulberry, Morus rubra which is commonly but incorrectly called
Black Mulberry.

I stand corrected, my previous writtings of using black mulberry actually
are Morus rubra, Red mulberry and sometimes called American Mulberry.

Thanks Lee.

Jerry