[nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 09:45:11 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/11/2013 4:58:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
qazingulaza at gmail.com writes:

> I've planted out about 20 Illinois Everbearing with the hopes of making
> wine, but I'm hesitant to plant more until I know if there is an easy way to
> harvest them and also if the birds will even allow me to harvest anything
> at all.

The big problem with Illinois Everbearing is the long ripening period with
low crop yield at any one time making it difficult to collect large enough
quantities for processing. The answer has to be a large number of trees. For
one thing large enough to feed all the birds as well as collect fruit.
Illinois Everbearing is a fantastic fruit. Better than any pure black I've ever
tasted and I've tasted many.

We collect fruits from our Black Mulberry trees by spreading bed sheets
under the trees then using long poles shake the limbs. Then float out the bugs
and use. There will still be a little protein in the cobbler, but after
cooking who cares.  Mulberry/raspberry cobbler or pie....YUM YUM.

Oh, we don't pick off the stems. Also don't leave the sheets under the tree
very long as they also collect bird droppings.

Jerry