[nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials

Bass Samaan bassgarden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:47:21 EST 2013

Growing up in the Mediterranean region, Mulberries were commonly sold by street fruit vendors in season, both the white and the black varieties. The mulberry tree is so adaptable to most regions in the states, especially Morus Alba, but we still don't see this in any super market, or farm markets. Recently one of our local farm market asked me if I would know what is the name of the fruit that their Middle eastern customers refer to as "Tout" (Arabic, and Persian word for Mulberry). They said several customer have been asking for it. Asked if I can sell them fresh fruit in season.
I currently grow 3 varieties, Collier, Greece, and Illinois Everbearing.
Have anyone considered Mulberry as a marketable fruit?
What varieties have a potential for the fresh market in the NorthEast?

Bass Samaan
Zone 6, PA
www.Treesofjoy.com
bassgarden at gmail.com