[nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)

derry walsh derrywalsh1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:31:46 EST 2013

Sam,

Thanks for forwarding the link on Prunus mume.

I have about six varieties of P mume in my garden.

I can tell you that it may be the longest flowering fruit tree in (some
areas of) China, but it is short-lived in my area (PNW one hour from
Vancouver, B.C.)

In years when we get frosts when the tree is in bloom (February) it is
subject to what I think is 'bacterial canker', Pseudomonas sp., which
gradually kills the tree.

My favourite variety is 'Beni shi don' a tree with red blossoms.

I have found that this variety needs a pollenizer to produce fruit. The
VanDusen Gardens in Vancouver has many specimens of this variety and
none produce fruit.

Soon after my 'Rosemary Clarke' bloomed, I had fruit.

As the article says, the fruit is picked when hard and green and soaked
in brine.

The tree itself is a small tree and it is not attractive, but when in
bloom it is magnificent, often at Chinese New Year.

Cheers,

Derry Walsh
Aldergrove, B.C.

On 1/9/2013 8:08 AM, Brungardt, Sam (MPCA) wrote:
> Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any
> name<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-growing-umeboshi-20130108,0,7655132.story%3Ftrack%3Drss&ct=ga&cad=CAEQAhgAIAAoATABOAFAr-yzhwVIAVAAWABiAmVu&cd=qVruKf1JM1E&usg=AFQjCNHP44MKuVv-UnnAs9FtgnD4dwudeQ>

Los Angeles Times
> The Japanese apricot -- a plant native to China, actually -- is one
> of the longest lived of the flowering fruit trees. It's a symbol of
> resilience in the face of adversity thanks to its early flowers,
> delicate promises of spring that can begin ...
>
> Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any
> name<http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-growing-umeboshi-20130108,0,7655132.story>

By Jeff Spurrier
> by any
> name]<http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-growing-umeboshi-20130108,0,7655132.story>