[nafex] multiple trees in one hole

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Jan 7 21:13:29 EST 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Steven Covacci wrote:
> -I plant the trees in triangles at 2' apart from each other.  This will mean that larger-trunked species (plums, for instance) may eventually fuse at the very base.  I feel that all three will function as a single tree - none of this competing for nutrients idea, because their roots will fuse in time (inosculate).  So the 3 cultivars will not compete any more (or less) than a tree conceptually subdivided into three parts (the part facing- East, West and South)...

I don't think that prevents the different trees from competing. Plants are very localized, and I see different parts of an oak tree "compete" with each other. At least in my experience, the tree will kill off parts that don't get enough sun, and favor the parts that do. I have had to do some drastic pruning to maintain desirable lower branches (suitable for hanging a swing from, for example) and keep upper part in check.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6