[nafex] Shade-tolerance in these fruit crops?

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Jan 6 23:51:50 EST 2013

 Robert Nitschke reported in his Southmeadow Fruit Gardens catalogue of
 1968
 that he grew English Morello cherries against a north wall at Detroit
 and that the cherries "were of a size and flavour unobtainable in full
 sun."

 I see that in a local forested city park here in the Niagara Peninsula,
 seedling sour cherries (probably
 from Montmorency seed as that is the only one grown commercially here)
 grow readily in semishade and fruit sparsely.

 Doug Woodard
 St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada