[nafex] Compatable pears???

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Mon Mar 26 22:26:58 EDT 2012

    A friend has a wild pear (pyrus spp.) that bears inedible fruit.  To
help him out, I grafted scionwood from my pears onto his wild pear.  His
tree accepted all of my grafts.  Several of those grafts were from my Ure
Pear.  When I saw the abundance of edible fruit on his tree, I grafted his
wild pear scionwood onto my Ure but the Ure rejected all grafts.  That is
curious:  How can scions be accepted onto a tree whose scions are rejected
by the other?  I guess that is one of the mysteries of Nature.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472