[nafex] Organic Brown Rot Control

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Sat Mar 24 11:30:54 EDT 2012

  Thanks Scott.

My worst hit trees last year were the cherries (U of Sask) and a Euro
plum. Just prunded them yesterday and really opened up the centre of the
cherries, which are very bush-like. I'm sure this is going to help. I
also cut off some branches that seemed to have been compromised. I was
very vigourous about clean up and checking for any remaining mummies.

My peach needs some serious pruning as I let it run wild (see below) but
as I had to hack half of it off yesterday, I'm going to go gently with
what's remaining. It wasn't badly affected last year.

Bought some sulphur too, so will try that sometime next week. I'm a bit
confused about the order for spraying, would it be dormant oil first,
followed 3-4 days after with sulphur?

With regards to disease resistance, unfortunately up here I have to put
hardiness at the top of my list and disease resistance second! I believ
the cherries have quite good resistance. I have no idea if my peach is a
resistant as it's an unknown rootstock of a reliance peach that didn't
survive the winters up here!

I'll look out for Serenade and Saf-T-Side Oil, I find there is so little
choice of products around here, maybe I'm just shopping in the wrong places!

Good job we don't get Brown Rot too bad up here!

Thanks again,

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC