[nafex] Early pruning

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Sat Mar 24 11:04:49 EDT 2012

  Steve,

As far as this list goes I'd say we're neighbours!

Did my pruning yesterday, there was a lot more green on the cuts than
usual although the buds were all still tightly closed.

Strange insects about with the warm weather, worried that could be a new
problem.

Not worried too much apart from the apricot, can't do much about it anyway.

I am going to vigilantly monitor the precipitation though.  A couple of
years back we had a very dry, warm spring and I lost a couple of young
plants (including a young apple tree) and I strongly believe it was
through lack of water during the spring (never thought to water in
spring here previously). With the rapid melt and warm weather I feel it
could go that way again. But who know, it could rain all next week!

Good Luck for Monday, I've had a success protecting plants in the autumn
with sheets and blankets, don't know if that's a viable option for the
scale of your fruit production or if it even works in spring.

Caren

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist