[nafex] pruning question

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 08:19:49 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/22/2012 4:02:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jerrydana5 at aol.com writes:

> I've got a Montmorency Cherry tree and two peach trees that I have let
> get too big.   Will it be too hard on the trees to cut them back to say 5 or
> 6 feet (which would be just the main trunks)?  They're probably 16-20 feet
> tall right now.  Jerry in southern Indiana

Hello Jerry,

Didn't see anyone answer your question. I'll take a stab at it.

Cutting it back nearly 2/3 would be rather radical and could lead to it's
demise. I'd suggest taking it back in steps over 2 or three years and in such
a manor to promote lower limb development.

Jerry in central Indiana.