[nafex] Grafting Tools

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 21:27:10 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/16/2012 6:00:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hartmansfruit at msn.com writes:

> Has anyone actually used this Omega-style grafting tool from Lee Valley?
> I've used other grafting tools and always return to my grafting knife and
> the whip and tongue method.

I have two Omega grafting tools and don't use either.  Problem is the round
ball is a perfect ball bearing for the scion to move about the understock
piece. That can break the bark lose from the scion and can reduce the
reliability. I still use the grafter that makes the "V" cut, called bench grafter.
More expensive for sure but superior.

Another problem with both my omega's is the limitation of scion size it
will cut. Only small stuff, too small. Mine are for sale.

Jerry