[nafex] pruning Toka plum

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 23:21:43 EDT 2012

Yeah, Toka will do that. One thing about Toka (someone please confirm
that mine isn't the only one that does this), the fruits tend to fall
when they are ripe AND the fruit is so firm that falling doesn't
generally bruise it. It is edible at that firm crunchy stage. My point
is, maybe keeping it short and manageable isn't as important as you think.
For me, LaCrescent is more vigorous than any other plum that I grow. It
gets taller than Toka. However, I guess I've never had a whole Toka
tree. I've only grafted it onto other plums. Anyway, LaCrescent makes a
big tree but it has never made more than a little basket of plums in any
year. That could be due to my location.

Steve in the Adirondacks