[nafex] pruning Toka plum

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 21:20:02 EDT 2012

My 'LaCrescent' plum is shaping itself into a beautiful, small, open-center tree, but my 'Toka' plum is growing very large and imitating a bradford pear, with oodles of vertical branches. Wondering what to do about it, it occurred to me that I could cut out the central leader, and then most of what was left would be the approximate size and shape of my 'LaCrescent', with an open center. Would that be a good idea? This would be very major surgery. They're only a few years old, and although they flowered last year, haven't fruited yet.

Melissa
central NY, used to be zone 5, now zone 6 by the new map.