[nafex] Growing hardy kiwis - multiple varieties: same hole?

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Fri Mar 9 13:35:27 EST 2012

  I find that they don't want to get that wide, perhaps 3-4 feet
maximum, but they really want to keep going up. Mine climbed about 7
feet and would have kept going but ran out of trellis so then they
started getting wider. Going to try and give them about 8-10 feet of
trellis when I move them. Harvesting will not be a problem for me though
as I have easy access from the deck. I currently have them planted at
about 2 feet apart, might bring that down a touch.

There may be better stand-alone trellising/ pruning techniques for them,
I have just followed my gut, and pruned them according to the space I
allocated to them. I am definitely going to try restricting the male to
the benefit of the females( at the moment they all have equal space),
but then my male is very flashy, I really adore its very ornamental foliage.

People have mentioned problems with frost damage in early spring. I am
in Ag Can 4b which I believe is the equivalent of 3b in the US, and have
never had any problem, even in the most yo-yo of springs. I have thrown
a sheet over them at the beginning of October once when I was waiting
for the fruit to finish ripening but that's another story!

Good Luck!

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC