[nafex] seedlings - overcome drying losses

alden at waldenwinds.com alden at waldenwinds.com
Sat Mar 3 10:40:19 EST 2012

I want to start some small seeds of trees this year.

In prior years, when I did get germination, I lost the resulting planted
seedlings in their two-leaf stage before they could develop their first
leaves, because they dried out in the pots.

I can only think of two ways to overcome drying losses.

One is to have an automatic mister.  I've done this before for
cuttings...but is attendant with lots of set-up time, so is costly of my
time.  Usually capital demanding, too.

A second is to leave the pots always in standing water.  How many species
object to the presence of standing water on the bottoms of their pots?
Is clay better suited to the job of standing in water than plastic?   Thank
you for any thoughts.
Charlie in Massachusetts