[nafex] multi-tree hole

Idell Weydemeyer iwgarden at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 2 12:08:14 EST 2012

The concept of planting trees 10- 20 feet apart (traditional advice) is not
much use in small gardens. Closer planting --Dave Wilson's idea -- is a big
help for those who live in urban areas with small backyards-- many of us
want more fruit so it is either the several trees together or
windrows/hedges or lots of grafts on one tree or do guerrilla gardening-
-planting trees on right of ways and grafting fruit on flowering trees in
public areas. Dave's Wilson's research and fruit trees are great - so if
this is a way to help fund it-fine with me.

Many more small backyard fruit growers desires (and some commercial growers)
may be what is pushing more  research into developing more varied dwarfing
rootstocks and columnar apples.

Idell Weydemeyer
San Francisco Bay area zone 9