[nafex] Diospyros lotus

bassgarden at gmail.com bassgarden at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:03:20 EDT 2012

I am not sure if it's possible for the tree to change its sex, but there are many persimmon varieties that have both male and female flowers.
I have tried a couple varieties of D. Lotus. One is at the Brooklyn botanical gardens that bears elongated fruit and turn dark when ripe. It is totally seedless with the absence of a male. The other is a seedling of a wild Korean persimmon. The tree produces heavy crop of small round fruit that is full with seeds.
I usually graft persimmon as soon as the rootstock starts breaking dormancy. Many methods will work for grafting but it has to be done at the right time. Make sure to select a shoot that is growing straight up rather than a side branch. Since persimmons often prunes its side branches.

Bass Samaan
Zone 6, Pa
Bass
www.treesofjoy.com