[nafex] wasps & hornets

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 23:02:47 EDT 2012

I have a serious problem with wasps biting holes in small fruit such as blueberries, raspberries and gooseberries.  Don't grow apples, so cannot answer that.

I use homemade traps, jugs with 1" holes cut 3-4" above the bottom of the jug.  I put fruit juice with fruit peels, old fruit, etc in the bottom + water + some liquid soap (occasionally a bit of cider vinegar).  Gets flies, wasps, yellow jackets and some moths.  Best to start early in the season.  Trapping helps, but best solution for small fruits for me is to put them under screens or appropriate netting.