[nafex] Codling Moth Larva pictures

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Sun Jul 8 18:47:27 EDT 2012

You are correct that the timing is more consistent with coddler.  (We have not yet got any
coddling moth here in Zone 5a, but will in another few weeks).  But to distinguish EAS from
coddling moth you really need to count their legs - other than the EAS having two more sets
of legs the two larvae look essentially identical.  (The EAS is yellowish-white, and the coddler
is pinkish-white, but without a comparison this is subtle.)  The frass from the EAS is
malodorous and from the coddler odorless - the problem here is that I, (and I suspect, many
other males), cannot smell the EAS frass in the first place.  (Get a woman to sniff it if need
be.) (Totally off-topic, but did you know that a woman can pick out her baby by smell alone
within 24 hours of birth?)

> I was still finding apples with European Sawfly larva inside until
> recently. Today I thought I found one more really late one. The hole
> with frass was right in the end opposite from the stem. That seemed
> more like Codling Moth damage. I took some pictures:
<SNIP>