[nafex] Carmine Jewel question/choke-pin-nanking cherries

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 16:46:45 EDT 2012

Sarah, I hope you realize that I wasn't correcting you, but the person
who changed it to Pin cherries. I felt like you were defending yourself
(of course, maybe not).
The chokecherries around here are bright red and never darken quite to
purple. I used to know where there was a clump of chokecherries that had
about 1/4 of the trees producing yellow cherries. The yellow ones were
exactly like the red ones except for color AND they were less
astringent. I tried eating some yellow ones and they were nearly (but
not quite) edible right off the tree.
I wonder if anyone in the world of plant breeding ever tried to breed
chokecherries that weren't astringent?

Steve (in the Adirondacks)