[nafex] Codling Moth Larva pictures

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 16:21:47 EDT 2012

I was still finding apples with European Sawfly larva inside until
recently. Today I thought I found one more really late one. The hole
with frass was right in the end opposite from the stem. That seemed more
like Codling Moth damage. I took some pictures:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3AKrdCa0yc8/T_iUheUgYEI/AAAAAAAAAFs/O61P4Njb7rA/s912/DSCF7113.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PkK_V9YBy9s/T_iUlR10v1I/AAAAAAAAAF0/BdJgxpGqsC0/s912/DSCF7117.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-E-l33XP9KAQ/T_iUlUGTb3I/AAAAAAAAAF8/OaEgCtYcpZQ/s912/DSCF7118.JPG

I was comparing my pictures to this reference picture:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/images/apples/often-confused-with/insects/apples_eas+cm-larvae_zoom.jpg?rand=557089026

For a few minutes, I was starting to believe my pictures matched the
Sawfly larva but after looking at more pictures, mine was, in fact, a
Codling Moth as I would expect this time of year. We get very few
Codling Moths and I don't spray for them. However, I usually do a couple
of Sevin sprays for apple maggots and that probably gets the Codling
Moths too.
I put out my red sticky spheres toward the end of June and so far I
haven't trapped a single maggot fly! That's just odd since I usually
catch dozens. I'm probably not going to spray again this year unless a
bunch of maggot flies suddenly show up.

Steve in the Adirondacks