[nafex] Is Frontenac grape patented?

Dan Durica dandurica at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:49:48 EST 2012

I remember learning about Frontenac a while back and hearing that it was not patented, but that Frontenac Gris was.  I feel like I heard this at a workshop given by one of the researchers from U of M who was involved in breeding it and I'm pretty sure he was the one who found Frontenac Gris and patented it.  Now I'm seeing TM next to it at many nurseries and charges for royalties.  Some have it and some don't.  Are they confusing it with Gris or did someone patent Frontenac?  Any help would be appreciated. Dan