[nafex] Angle of the Sun at Different Latitudes

Dan Nave nave1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 15:04:00 EST 2012

Hi Muffy,

Your post is very helpful and helps to illustrate the confusion I was having over this.  The info I
saw states that since the furthest north the sun gets is directly above the Tropic of Cancer, which
is south of us, the angle of the sun at midday on the summer equinox is about 23degrees (if I
remember correctly) south from vertical, so it would not be directly overhead, but would be somewhat
south.  Given that, it was disconcerting to see the sun appearing to come from the north in the
morning and evening.  I have some trees and bushes planted on the north side of the property just in
front of some taller trees but mostly under their drip line and was hoping that they would get sun
due to the sun's angle at our latitude.   It seems that in the peak of summer they do not get much
direct sun.

Dan