[nafex] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Wineberries: A Natural Crop with Promise

V. Michael Bove Jr. vmb at teakettlefarm.com
Fri Jan 27 15:31:25 EST 2012

Speaking as someone who has quite a lot of the things, I will note
that they grow to ridiculous lengths, tip-root like mad, and don't
mind shadier conditions than many other Rubus; you really need to keep
up with them to prevent a row from turning into an ten-foot-wide
impenetrable thicket.  Also, once the local birds figure them out, you
will learn that the seeds will happily germinate in places where you
wouldn't normally expect to have to worry about Rubus turning up (like
cracks in a driveway!)

So I wouldn't say that Wineberries are "easily controlled when
properly cultivated" unless "properly cultivated" means the sort of
proper cultivation that would be involved if one wanted to grow a
patch of, say, Japanese honeysuckle or Oriental bittersweet.

But I still love 'em.

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Z6 (MA/RI border)