[nafex] Titania Black Currant - Self-Fertile?

Dan Nave nave1 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 22:59:36 EST 2012

I had been under the impression that black currants were not self-fertile, but this description from
a U of Minnesota write-up says Titania black currant is self-fertile.  Can anyone confirm this?

This would be great for me because I planted quite a few plants and cuttings last spring of Titania
and Jonkheer Van Tets (thanks to Sam Brungardt), but the identification tags had been lost so I
don't know which is which until they fruit, and I may not have planted them near enough to another
black current variety.  I guess the Jonkheer Van Tets at least will fruit since they are
self-fertile red currants.  But, (Titania) being self-fertile should increase yield in any case.

<http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/garden/currantsgooseberries.htm>

    */Titania/*

    A very promising cultivar. High yields of large high-quality berries are borne earlier---within
    three years after planting---than other cultivars. Very vigorous, tall plants are immune to
    blister rust and have good resistance to powdery mildew. Self-fertile: no other variety need be
    planted to get good crops from Titania.